Know When to Skip the Dishwasher
The dishwasher is the quintessential home appliance in a convenience-based society. Nothing beats letting a machine do the messy work for you! If you have a big family or lead a busy, active life, the dishwasher might be your best friend in the kitchen. But not everything should go in the dishwasher, even if the product instructions claim it can! Read on to find out how taking a few extra minutes to hand-wash some of your favorite kitchenware can end up being more convenient than throwing it in the dishwasher!
- Knives. By hand-washing your cutlery, you are actually saving yourself the frustration of cutting with dull blades. And you may literally be saving your fingertips! The high heat of the dishwasher, abrasive soap and action of the water can dull knife blades. Cutting with dull blades is much more dangerous than cutting with properly sharpened blades. Do yourself a favor and hand-wash your knives. Lay them to dry on your DN Racks® 2-Tier Bamboo Dish Drying Rack before sheathing and storing them.
- Plastic containers. Most plastic containers are dishwasher safe. But once you wedge a container or a lid in between other dishes in the dishwasher, you may find that the container and lid never want to cooperate again. The high heat of the dishwasher can cause the plastic to deform, rendering your air-tight container useless when you can no longer get the lid on. Your bamboo dish drying rack is the perfect place to pile on the hand-washed plastic.
- Hand-painted glass or ceramics. Hand-painted? Then hand-wash! That favorite mug you bought at a craft fair or the special plate you got for Mother’s Day will stay in perfect condition for a much longer time if you spare them the heat and abrasion of the dishwasher.
- Plastic cups with screenprinting. We all have a cabinet dedicated to stacks of plastic cups from special events or favorite restaurants. It doesn’t take many turns through the dishwasher to wear away the designs that make the cups unique. A quick scrub in hot, soapy water will adequately clean your cups. Let them dry overnight on your bamboo dish drying rack.
- Bamboo and wood. Kitchenware made from bamboo and wood should last you a very long time. Excessive soaking and exposure to rapid temperature changes (such as in the dishwasher) are quick ways to ruin these pieces. Take a few minutes to wash bamboo and wood products by hand and save yourself the frustration of having to replace these items sooner than necessary.
Yes, we all love convenience in the kitchen. But sometimes we just need to know when to skip the dishwasher!